Saturday, March 28, 2009

Birth of a Baby

The Stats:
Born March 27th, 2009, 3:47am
8 pounds 14 ounces
20 and 3/4 inches long
Baby boy Grayson

I was honoured to be invited to the birth of my friend/cousin's new little baby. As a nurse, I've been to many births, but it's so different to be there as solely a support person. You don't have to worry about charting and other nursing activities, you can just focus on being present for the mama.

What an awesome experience. I'm continually amazed at the strength women have when it comes to childbearing. 35 hours at the hospital, 21 hours of hard contractions and then to have the strength to push that baby into the world. It is awe inspiring and may I just say, my new little cousin is an adorable little man. He's so peaceful and bright... looking around and into his mother's face like no other 1-day-old I've ever seen. :)

I can't wait to see him grow. I hope my son and him become the best of friends, just like his mother and me.

It's been an exciting week!

1 comment:

  1. We're so happy and greatful that you were there! it was a marathon labour and it was great to have someone by my side the whole time who had been there before! I wouldn't have had it any other way! we both are truly greatful!

    ReplyDelete