Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cinnamon Apple Squash

Now that I'm done work for the summer (well, for the time being anyway..) I already have some extra time to make more-than-basic baby food. So today I pulled a squash and an apple out of the fridge and whipped out my new bullet one shot blender (a lovely mother's day gift from my mother-in-law, great for baby food and perhaps more importantly - margaritas)

So I would normally bake the squash in the oven but it's too darn warm, so into the microwave it went for 9 minutes. Washed, cut in two, seeds removed and placed face down in a dish with 1/4 cup of water...

Once complete, I scoop out the soft guts and place in the blender (if you fill this, it's the perfect amount to fill one ice cube tray!). Also in the picture is a bowl of cut up apples, about 2 tablespoons of water (I don't really measure...) and about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. I cook the apples in the microwave for 2 minutes to soften.
Now a fairly important step... check on the kids to make sure they aren't destroying something or each other...

One is lining up crayons...

The other is making a mess in his sister's closet...
Add apples to the squash and blend away!Taste it to see if it needs a little more cinnamon. Yum!

Freeze in an icecube tray or feed fresh to baby. :)


Supper time update:
The Cinnamon Apple squash was a hit with G.

I was sneaky and put some semi-frozen squash mixture on the toddler's plate. I assumed it was enough like apple sauce that she would be cool with it. I even called it "apple icecream treat". She took a bite with much coaxing and promptly gagged and said, "Oh! That made me very very sick." *eye roll*

1 comment:

  1. What a great recipe idea. Thanks for sharing. My little one loves cinnamon. She'll eat almost anything if I put cinnamon on it!

    ReplyDelete