Tuesday, February 3, 2009

5 minute, $5, no-sew baby wrap

The 5 minute $5 No-Sew Baby Wrap


I own several lovely store-bought baby slings/carriers but my favourite to use around home costs next to nothing, I didn't have to sew it, takes 5 minutes to put on (and faster once you've practiced!), it's lightweight, easy to store, comes in hundreds of colours and patterns and best of all, baby loves it!



This idea is certainly not new to me. I picked this up from a breastfeeding group, but I want to share the wealth!


What you will need:

- Approximately 11 feet of a 2-way stretch fabric (like Lycra, or special cottons that don't fray). You may want more if you're a little bigger, or less if you're a little smaller (best to buy a little big and cut later than not have enough). I'm 5'5" and fairly large chested and I use 11 feet of fabric. And it's cut to approx. 18 inches wide.


- A baby, or something else you want to carry close to your chest. ;)


*Pics are clickable for a closer view, sorry if my mirror is dirty... lol*


1. Pick up your fabric, finding the half-way point.



2. Wrap the centre portion around your tummy to the back.


3. Criss-cross the fabric over your back and bring the ends over each shoulder.


4. It will now look like this from the front. Try to keep the fabric from twisting too much.


5. Criss-cross the fabric in the front and bring the two ends to the back. Pull a little so all portions feel snug against your body, but not tight.



6. Tie a good knot in the back, tug it to make sure it's not going to slip.


7. Find your prey. Hold him or her close to your chest.


8. This part can be a little awkward at first, but insert baby into the top portion of the criss-cross in front. Pull each of baby's legs through the sides of the cross so that baby is straddling the fabric. Like so...



9. Fan the fabric out across baby's bum and back and over his or her shoulders.

(at this point you may also want to let your toddler fill her teapot at the sink... heehee)



10. Tuck your baby's legs into the section of fabric that you first wrapped across your tummy.



11. Now fan that same piece of fabric over your baby's bum, back and shoulders (even the back of the head should the baby need neck support) and ta-da! you're wearing a baby comfortably and for dirt cheap.

And just for comparison, same fabric with a 25 pound two-year-old...


Disclaimer: Of course you must always be vigilant with any product or materials you use around your baby. Do not use near hot surfaces that could burn your baby, downhill skiing and similar activities should also be avoided (lol). For very small babies you will need to be aware of proper airflow around the face. I cannot be held responsible for any injury that could result should you wear your baby in this way. That being said, I've found it to be extremely safe with my own kiddo.

21 comments:

  1. Nice wrap...even nicer baby! G is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wrap colours. What kind of fabric is that and where did you get it? None of my SPOCs are that cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lycra and it was actually given to me for free at a breastfeeding support group, but I saw the exact same fabric on clearance at Walmart not long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, much cheaper than my $40 Moby and cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so great! I'm totally going to Fabricland to pick some fabric up . . . I can have a wrap that lives in the car! (I always forget mine at home) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is way cute, I'm going to a craft fair and the lady that runs it says that no one has ever sold baby carriers in the 19 she has been doing it. I have been looking for a good one, and this looks like it. I might try to find something I can add to make it mine, but thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made my own wrap too (with hints from mamatoto) and I agree that these are the best! I get complements all the time and requests to make more - but they can make their own! I did stitch up my edges (which is why I say no to any more) and I used an A-crinkle fabric. It is wonderfully light-weight. Of all my carriers (sling, moby, ergo, pouch) I like mine best. Great idea to share with every mama you know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought 3.5 yards and my wrap is too short. I'm disappointed; I really wanted to make my own wrap :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to say thanks for this page. I stumbled upon it and it has been super helpful. I was actually perusing to buy a wrap or a carrier but instead, went to Wal-mart, bought about $6 worth of material and "made" the wrap myself. Thanks so much for saving me lots of money and helping me make such a super cute carrier that my little guy (and my 3 year old) love

    ReplyDelete
  10. How creative! This wrap is awesome! I really appreciate the people like yourself that post these wonderful ideas that really do help a momma out. Having your hands free during the infant stage is seldom and so desperately needed and this is about the only wrap that does not feel like your tugging around a sack of potatoes!

    THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found this today! I'm gonna go get me some fabric! I can't wait to try this. I've been looking for something that I can make that doesn't require sewing (because I don't have a machine)!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing! Just what I've been looking for. I made one this morning using good ol cotton with no stretch. Works perfect for my newborn, I think it is more supportive than stretch fabric so I feel more secure. It work work so great as he grows though. I'm def going to pick up some fabric with stretch and make another. We love this! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey... Great idea! I actually have a 12 foot non stretchy cotton print here at the house, but it wasn't quite long enough for me. It wraps around nicely, but not enough to tie in the back. I'm 5'5'' and size 16. I think I need 14 feet of fabric, and after trying the non stretchy kind I think the stretch would be better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is awesome! I have a sleepy wrap, i love it and it's more like five yards long i think, just so people know. i can wrap it again around my waist, but as the author of this blog said (and it all looks awesome, i can't wait to look around more!), better to buy extra and have to cut than to have not enough.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very talented to take pics and do the wrap at the same time! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for posting this. I've heard other people tell me how to do it, but seeing pictures makes it look easy! I'm going to buy material tomorrow when I go to town so I can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm about to go to the store and try this! I have a sling that is a lot like a "hotsling" but my 5 month old doesn't seem to like it much anymore. (too cramped for him, but he's too small to do the hip carry). And I think it'll feel more secure if he's directly on my chest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much I am sharing this with my "month club" we're due next month and talking about baby slings. :) Very excited to use this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, don't LOL the downhill skiing. I know someone who does that wearing a baby. Scares me to death!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is really cute & soooo Usefull ...God bless you & your Kids
    Thank you for ur tips...the best i found online :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I own several lovely store-bought baby slings/carriers but my favourite to ... babyslingstretchy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete